I curated a list of 18 of my favourite articles about writing. Thanks to a mix of content about copy, storytelling and fiction, the quality of your writing will never be the same again after you read all of these.
As a personal challenge, I tried to improve the headline and subtitle for each article.
Do let me know what you think.
- Paul Graham. Everything you need to know about writing in 424 words. Start writing to generate ideas and share to build on them.
- Scott Adams (Dilbert Blog). 80% of the rules of good writing. Master these basic rules to write clearly and persuasively.
- Morgan Housel (Collaborative Fund) Less is more is the secret to better writing. Tell all you know and stop.
- Jessie Van Breugel (The Brave Writer). Why writing online is the best thing you can do to hone your skills. Tips and and trick to go from amateur to pro.
- Bobby Powers (Writing Cooperative). Write fiction like Neil Gailman. Thirteen tips to improve your writing and storytelling skills.
- Julian Shapiro: The one guide that will make writing 10 times easier. A full guide to better writing: idea generation, first drafts, reviewing and creating a writing habit.
- Paul Graham: Why your writing should be useful. Importance, novelty, correctness and strength are the key ingredients for a successful essay.
- Khe Hy: Think you can’t write? Five obstacles debunked. Why you should not be afraid to start writing and sharing it online.
- Harry (MarketingExamples): How to use conversational language to write better copy. 14 tips to make your audience feel more connected with your words.
- Roy Peter Clark (Poynter) 50 tips to make your writing more interesting. How to write more powerful fiction and suck readers into your story. https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2006/fifty-writing-tools-quick-list/
- Josh Spector (For the Interested): How to get people to start reading, read on and act. 13 rules to sharpen your editing process.
- Nivi (Venture Hacks) Why you should write like an entrepreneur. 16 tips to write like Buffett.
- Harry (Marketing Examples) Writing persuasive copy isn’t as hard as you think. 17 easy rules to make your copy sell.
- Josh Spector: 40 one-liners every writer will agree with. The truth about writing in short tips and applicable advice.
- Jacob M. Appel (Writer’s Digest): Get more interaction thanks to better introductions. 10 rules to make your story’s introduction stand out.*
- Justin Mikolay: How to make the ideas bigger and the word count smaller. Why you writing goes from left to right and editing from right to left.
- Matt Maiale, Julian Shapiro (Demand Curve): How to create headlines everyone will want to click. Showcase your benefits and solutions to create compelling copy.
- Ann Handley: How to write better when you think you’re good at writing. Nine writing rules by some the greatest writers of all times.
*Have a look at https://bestfirstlines.com/ to find inspiration for your introductions.
I put all the knowledge from these sources and several more together in an ebook I will be publishing soon. It will be available on Gumroad.